Precision Agriculture Technician
Our Company and Culture: Growers is a precision agriculture and data analytics company, headquartered near Raleigh, NC. We help farmers across the country turn their farm data into recommendations that deliver higher yields, at lower cost, with less resources. Our culture thrives on innovation, responsibility, and service.
Position Summary: As a Precision Agriculture Technician, you will provide a critical on-farm role in understanding our customers’ farms. Your role will include specialized tasks for field mapping and soil sampling. Planning, organization, and customer service are factors that will contribute to your success in this position.
Position Responsibilities: The Precision Agriculture Technician role will require you to solve operational and equipment problems, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and grow your agricultural and machinery knowledge. On a typical day, the Precision Agriculture Technician works independently or as part of a small team to do the following:
- Perform field operation assignments, such as running GPS boundaries, mapping soil properties, soil sampling, and other on-farm activities.
- Organize and verify that time-sensitive information related to field work or farm operations is available and communicated to colleagues or customers .
- Conduct preventive maintenance and repairs on all machinery and equipment (such as cleaning, greasing, replacing parts, etc.) and actively communicate equipment issues to the Field Operations Manager.
Technical Skills: A Precision Agriculture Technician must be skilled in operating agricultural equipment and must safely and efficiently drive a truck and trailer. Successful candidates are capable of the following skills:
- Operating mid-size tractors, utility tractors, and all-terrain vehicles.
- Operating, maintaining, and repairing small engines, hydraulics, and basic electrical equipment.
- Understanding and explaining basic agronomy and precision agriculture practices and technologies.
Behavioral Skills: The Precision Agriculture Technician is one of the most visible, customer-facing roles in the Company, and individuals in this role always strive to represent Growers’ values of integrity, humility, and professionalism. This role requires attention to detail because the data you collect is the foundation for the services that Growers provides. As such, you will be expected to:
- Adhere to a professional standard of safety and quality in all processes and outcomes.
- Promptly complete tasks, communicate clearly with team members, and remain frugal with expenditures.
- Be open to sharing and receiving constructive feedback, with a desire for growth and improvement.
- Maintain a positive, can-do attitude in the face of adverse conditions and changes in plan.
- 2 or 4 year degree in an agricultural or engineering-related field
- 1+ year of field technician and/or agriculture work experience, preferably in crop production.
- Knowledge of field equipment, machinery operation and maintenance.
- Willingness to travel up to 80% during periods of high demand; including 2 week assignments.
- Ability to drive a truck and trailer; CDL a plus.
- Valid Driver’s License with clean driving record.
- Ability to lift 40+ lbs and work in adverse field conditions (hot/wintry weather, dusty environments, etc.).